Wednesday 5 December 2012

The Beauty of Books...

oh the beautiful art of escaping into the depths of a book...

There has always been this part of me, deep inside that wanted to write...in part when I was younger I yearned to be an author. I was & remain, an avid reader, seated on the window seat, crouching over my beloved books, seeking out the words by means of the moonlight; reading lovingly created words composed by the likes of Enid Blyton & Sylvia Plath, escaping into other worlds, other minds...watching time & space transform before me. There has always been something intrinsically magical about sitting down with a book, falling in love with characters, gasping audibly in awe of the event's that unravel page by page before you.
Becoming transfixed & wholly absorbed by the pages before you, laughing out loud or shedding tears when you discover the twists, turns & tragedy of the plot...as the author guides you skilfully through the characters lives. Being a 'bookworm' is something i love. 

The world changed for me a lot once I learnt to read, hours spent feeding my mind for no book is off limits...from fiction to textbooks I am hungry for there words. Thus I was shocked to learn that the language of words & the art of reading them was one I would have to fight for...Dyslexia did its best to overshadow the journey of escapism into far away lands & the characters lives, it hid like a cloaked intruder out of sight until I was 22...sneaking about distorting sentences, making words appear to 'judder' & dance across the very pages I was losing myself in, hiding words...I was grateful to know I was not thick, a word I had been branded with in my younger days. It was a relief to have my dyslexia & its sidekick dyscalculia discovered, to know that I was not thick...it answered alot of questions for my parents~ although this alone did not ever bring understanding to them.

To know it would be a challenge to decipher books would be a silent battle that I would arm myself with knowledge against. I also found that dyslexia had given me something that I could not put into words, it gave me a unique perspective of looking at things, of understanding things, of being who I am today. I can truly say my life has changed through reading some books. When the last page is read, I mourn for the loss of it, finding I am deeply touched by the lives of the characters & their journeys throughout the book. 

Thankfully there are always more books to read! There will always be the favourites sat on my bookshelves that are well thumbed & dog eared, that have been read by torchlight...in almost every part of the house...toilet included! & there will always be room for reading...& writing...there is a beautiful silence that I cherish from both...




2 comments:

  1. Best wishes with blogging and reading from a fellow blogger across the pond!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love losing myself in a good book too, it's a nice break from reality ;)

    ReplyDelete